Kev js1982 wrote:
Some C (and U) roads are signed apparently - see
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/c-roads/

Indeed - a tiny number, and of the list at http://www.cbrd.co.uk/c-roads/signs.shtml, quite a few seem to be temporary or works signs (i.e. more for local council edification than for general consumption). But yes, a few are.

(And not all A roads are signed on the ground either)

That was the unspoken second half of my question. ;)

At, say, http://osm.org/go/eu2jYNcA-- , there's the A5189. Routing software that says "turn right here for the A5189" will confuse the user, because it's not signposted as such anywhere. (I think it's mostly "(A444)" or "(A38)" or somesuch.) So "unsigned" tagging could be useful in this case, too.

cheers
Richard