On 08/06/2011 08:15, Peter Miller wrote:
On a separate note. Would you be able to do a comparison between place
names in NatGaz and in OSM. I think we will be surprised how many
places we are still missing from OSM. My guess is that OSM only
contains about 65% of the 50K places in that database. Here it is:
http://data.gov.uk/dataset/nptg

On that separate note, places may be "missing" from OSM because they don't actually exist any more as separate entities. According to locals the place where I've lived for many years is either one or two villages depending on who you ask (OSM has it as two). The OS has about seven hamlets, three of which are in the nptg "Localilities" file as distinct localities in column 2, which I suspect predate the industrialisation of the area.

Cheers,
Andy