Derick Rethans <osm@...> writes:

>>>There is a substantial body
>>>of evidence that automated imports damage the ability to recruit and
>>>nuture new mappers.
>>
>>Could you cite the evidence?

>I can. I've a friend in the Netherlands that I'd say is the typical
>person that we want as mapper. He had mapped a lot of town Which then
>got wiped out by the AND import, and he didn't bother with OSM for a
>looong time.

That's a good piece of evidence but if you look carefully I think what it says
is that you should not wipe out existing mapping when doing an import.  They
must
be knitted in with manual attention where necessary and not just dumped from a
great height onto the map.

In this context I don't believe anyone is advocating the replacement of any
bits of the existing OSM map with OS data.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>