> If you import data into an area that doesn't already have an active
> community, the community will spring up more slowly or not at all.

But that logic suggests that we should actively *discourage* people from
doing any mapping, as an overly complete map discourages "community".

In reality there is still plenty to do in areas that have achieved 100%
road coverage. I strongly doubt that the UK community will disintegrate
if we ever get the whole country close to 100% roads. And I don't think
that fear should hinder us from trying to get to that point.

> ..Worcester was growing
> nicely until the OSSV fairies arrived: there's still a little activity,
> but the rich map is no longer growing at the rate it was.

I took a look out of interest. Worcester is a mass of grey roads:
http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=117&lat=52.19568481654745&lon=-2.2034480483935286&zoom=13

So there doesn't seem much evidence of "OSSV fairies" there. (Or at
least not with proper source tag).
But Worcester does seem to have a nice detailed map. Plenty of foot and
cycle paths, parks etc most of which won't have come from any OS
product.
Have the local mappers actually stopped mapping or have they just moved
onto nearby areas that are more in need of attention?

Ed said:
> It can help us to boost our map from 'excellent in parts,
> almost blank in others' to 'usable everywhere, excellent in many places'.
> Then
> as OSM becomes widely adopted, mapping parties and other contribution become a
> much easier proposition: rather than 'help out with this geeky new hobby' it
> becomes 'hey! you can contribute to the map you are already using!'.

Complete agree.
For every 1000 users getting taken on a 20 mile wild goose chase by
their satnav I'd be willing to bet that 999 are left cursing the name of
OpenStreetMap and maybe one decides to become a contributor and do
something about it. That's not how you win people over!