> Richard Fairhurst said:
> The problem with these fast-moving mailing lists is that I get
halfway through a reply to Graham's e-mail, go to the pub..

My emails often have that effect :)
That raises the question of why on earth we're still using
cliquey semi-private email lists when we could be using nice open
public forums with categories, threaded discussions, formatting
and voting - but that is a discussion for another day. ;)

> Worcester is nominally "complete"; yet despite the assurances
of people in this thread that "completeness will bring more
mappers", Worcester has just one mapper, Steve, who was active
anyway before OSSV came along. Does that not make you stop and
think?

So again you are basically arguing that we should avoid
completing the map because having a patchy incomplete map is what
brings in contributors?
Even if that were true, it is not exactly a sustainable approach.

Personally I'd rather people were drawn in by saying "Wow, what a
great map! I want to join in and add my local
library/school/house" than "This map is terrible. It doesn't have
half the roads in my village."

> Bob Kerr said:
> Using a bot to replace large sections of data in the UK is
going to be counterproductive or destructive

Just to be clear: no one is suggesting using the "OS bot" we are
discussing to replace or destroy any existing data.
I think we all agree that would be a very bad idea and as already
stated the wiki is very clear about the circumstances under which
it would add a "name" tag to a road.

> the UK is now 80% (road name)complete.

Terrible news, as apparently the community will grind to a
stuttering halt if we make it to 100%  :)

Seriously though, by the OS Locator comparison we still have
179,568 missing road names (many of which will also be missing
roads) and we're plodding through them at around 11,176 a month
(and falling). So even a generous guesstimate suggests we won't
be nearing 100% for well over a year.  Anything that helps with
this task, especially in areas with no active mapping, is welcome
by me.

> I believe we can both encourage people to join us and use the a
bot on small areas at the same time.

Agreed. It's just another tool we can use - nothing more.