Peter Miller wrote:
> If this is what you want then it clearly isn't a simple FTP mirror

Let's not overcomplicate things. :)

All that is needed is that someone
a) downloads all the OS VectorMap District files
b) unzips them
c) places the unzipped shapefiles on an FTP server somewhere
d) copies api.flickr.com/crossdomain.xml and puts it at the root of their
webserver
e) job done :)

For bonus points, you can create a trivial "find what National Grid tile
somewhere is in" index, so you can punch in "Kidderminster" and be told that
it's SO87 (and hence that the URL is
www.yourdomain.com/SO87/NaturalFeature_Line.shp, or whichever layer you want
to load). But that's one call to Nominatim and about 20 lines of Perl so any
fule can do that. Steps (a) to (e) require someone with FTP space and
bandwidth to spare and I don't have either, or I'd have done it by now.

cheers
Richard