Thanks Richard/Simon,

If anybody is interested the numbers of each type of way in the file are:

motorway        9
motorway_link   44
primary         1581
primary_link    68
trunk           606
trunk_link      131

The list should ensure that the motorways and their links can be tracked down and done. I'll try and work on these in the next few days. It might also be possible to save specific A-Roads by filtering the list (and using JOSM to download the specifc objects that need remapping).

Given the numbers for the other roads it seems unlikely that we'll have a complete set of trunk roads come 1 April.

I suspect the actual final losses will be worse because from what I've seen we have a plenty of ways where all (or all but one) of the nodes will be deleted, so presumably the way will go. We also have the issue of nodes getting deleted where roads join, which presumably will create breaks in roads come 1 April.

Still, gives us something to do.

MarkS