OK may be I wasn't quite using it quite with the proper intention, although I think most of the ways I added it to have been revised in some manner.

However it's quite difficult to determine how much a ways' geometry has changed.

You should definitely always err on the side of caution. If you add odbl=clean, you are making a very strong statement about all the contributions that made up that element. I would ask that you please go back and remove odbl=clean from everything you have added it to, unless you can be truly certain about the history of that element. My worry is that if odbl=clean is diluted by uses that are not 100% clean, it will simply be ignored and that will waste a lot of effort by people who have carefully checked that ways are in fact clean.

Cheers,
Andy