Philip Barnes wrote:
On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 12:25 +0100, Andy Street wrote:
On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 02:12 +0100, SomeoneElse wrote:
... Answers I received about the
"designation" tagging included things like "included on Notts CC's
definitive map as a byway" and "from a Definitive map modification
order
from 2006" (in both cases I asked about verifiability and licence
suitability but received no further reply)
Have there been any similar edits over the border in Leicestershire?

On the Leic / Lincs border, yes. A track I walked down and identified as a bridleway back in 2010 (I still have the Garmin file with the waypoint in it) has recently had the designation removed, and tracks nearby have been merged together so that the surface tag now reads something like "X;Y;Z".

It does seem strange to me that any new map modification orders have
been made since 2006 that change a bridleway into a BOAT (byway), it
really would be going against the trend of creating 'restricted
bridleways'.

The "modification order" was apparently for a Notts one (and in this case may perhaps be valid); my question for that particular change was whether it would be licence-compatible. However, many of the changes elsewhere don't match previous on-the-ground surveys.

If any such edits have occurred in Leicestershire, I still have friends
there to check their validity.

Edits have been made across England - I'd urge everyone with an interest in such matters to check for local changes along the lines that I've described by previously unseen mappers.

Cheers,
Andy