On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 18:22 +0100, Ed Loach wrote:
> Further to my earlier answer, Essex arrows tend to have the CC crest
> on the arrow itself, and public footpath (or whatever) around the
> top of the circle (if the arrow is pointing straight up). So I might
> change my answer if there is *just* a yellow arrow, but again it may
> vary by area.
In Leicestershire the arrows are plain, unless the path is part of a
long distance route, such as the Leicestershire Round, or Ivanhoe Way.
What seems to be unique to Leicestershire (maybe Rutland as the practice
was established before independence) are yellow posts (also yellow on
bridleways) which are really easy to see from across a large field.

An example is where the Leicestershire Round runs along the grass verge
of the A50, near Markfield. http://g.co/maps/r8duh

> The circles you tend to encounter when you are between roads, perhaps
> at field boundaries or junctions of multiple footpaths.
That is correct, they can also appear along a long stretch of path where
it would be possible for a walker to stray.

> Additionally (in Essex), where footpaths, etc join roads there is
> usually a signpost with the full wording on rather than just a
> circle.
That is the law (in England and Wales, again I cannot comment on
Scotland). There should be a finger-post wherever a Public Right Of Way
leave a metalled highway. They often appear on OS 'white roads', which
can be a good indication that the road is a county road. County roads do
not appear on the definitive map, quite a bone of contention for us
ramblers, as landowners do try to deter use as it is not easy for the
layman to tell the difference between these roads and a private track. I
have in the past phoned the County Council and asked.

The style of the finger post can vary considerably, some highway
authorities use words, others symbol such as a foot or someone walking.

They can be green, made of wood, and again my county of expertise (where
I no longer live), some are made of black recycled plastic.

Phil (trig222)