We're pleased to announce that we've extended the range of OSM tags that the CycleStreets routing engine uses to find cycle routes. This has helped us improve the quality of the suggested bike routes in two main ways: by handling the surface descriptions of the ways and accounting for the time delay caused by various obstacles along a route, as well as some other enhancements.

The routing engine now newly takes notice, or takes more notice, of these aspects (where the data exists in OpenStreetMap) when planning journeys:

- Surface quality (e.g. avoiding muddy bridleways)
- All manner of hurdles (gates, bollards, barriers, kerbs) that can impede a
cyclist's journey
- The presence of traffic calming
- Presence on a greater range of established route (e.g. mtb)
- Streets with a cycle lane only on one side
- Whether a path is lit

A full list of tags added is at:
http://www.cyclestreets.net/blog/2012/05/20/more-osm-tags-supported/

Based on the feedback we've seen recently these changes are already improving the quality of routes served to users, and so addition of more of this kind of data to OSM would be very welcome.

Martin,                     **  CycleStreets - For Cyclists, By Cyclists
Developer, CycleStreets     **  http://www.cyclestreets.net/