Comments below.

On 17 June 2012 12:44, Martin - CycleStreets <
list-osm-talk...@cyclestreets.net> wrote:

> As previously announced [1], we've been working with Andy Allan and the
> DfT's contractors to open up the cycling data that the DfT have collected
> (via manual surveys on bikes) over recent years.
>
> This data for each area is now available, converted, and ready for easy
> merging in with a new Potlatch2 tool Andy has written. The DfT is very keen
> to see the data more widely used, by OSM.

Neat - a productive way to improve the cyclemap on a wet weekend at home
(especially in the local area where much is memorised)!

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/**wiki/England_Cycling_Data_**project<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/England_Cycling_Data_project>
>
> It has these attributes, and the CycleStreets router [2] now supports them:
>
> - Surface quality (surface=)
> - Local Cycle Network signage (lcn=)
> - Lots of missing paths not yet in OSM
> - Cycle lane/path widths (width/est_width=)
> - Barriers of various kinds (barrier=)
> - Traffic calming (traffic_calming=)
> - Lighting (lit=)
>
> The LCN tags, surface tags, and missing paths, will particularly help the
> routing quality, as Shaun/Gregory who see user feedback will attest!
>
> Now are LCN's which are also NCN's *Supposed* to be tagged? - round here
most of the NCN stuff is just inside a relation, where as most of the LCN's
are on the way's themselves (The Big Track and NTU City to Basford being
the only LCN relations I know of) - I have tended to avoid adding LCN to a
way which is also an NCN as it looks ugly on Open Cycle Map (although I
guess this is "tagging for the renderer") - should I be adding LCN to ways
which are part of NCN Route's 6 or 15 too?

> The wiki URL above has a link to each area, and there's a screencast on
> Andy's merging tool:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=A_sMxpWptCQ<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sMxpWptCQ>
>
> I've so far merged in almost half the Cambridge data in under half a day.
> We'd love to see a local 'cheerleader' for each area. Could you sign up on
> the Wiki for that?

Would be really handy if there were some tile render overlays (or
KMLs/GPXs) showing where is still to be merged - so I can easy pick them up
when I'm out and about - the stuff I'm looking at now (Nottingham) is
mainly to the south of the city boundaries as that is the area I know best.

> Further work we're doing in support of this project is:
>

> - Any usability improvements in response to feedback on the tool.
>

> Speaking of which - when changing the highway from footway or bridleway to
cycleway (where it makes OTG sense) it would be neat if you could add
"designation=public_xxxway" without having to go into a separate Merkaartor
or Potlatch session - ditto editing tags like "lit" and "surface" which you
know the DfT has wrong (e.g. a number of off road routes have gained gravel
surfaces in the last couple of years round here thanks to the flood defence
work).

Kev :o)