>Also, I'm not up on cycleway lane tagging, and on a section where
>there are lanes both sides, is cycleway:left=lane and
>cycleway:right=lane correct, as per merge tool suggestions? Also,
>the merge tool is showing a suggest of Lane with a capital letter,
>which I think should be lower case.
>
>Ed

Hi Ed,

>From what I understand the cycleway:left=lane (& right) is the correct way
to tag these. The choice of 'left'/'right' depends on which way the road is
drawn in OSM. As you probably already know all roads (ways) have a
direction which can be found by selecting the way and looking for the arrow
next to the rubbish bin icon. 'Left'/'Right' is then based on the direction
of the way, therefore you will need to make sure that OSM's and DfT's ways
are drawn in the SAME DIRECTION before merging!

As noted in a previous post, most other tags use 'forward'/'backward'
rather than left/right. Personally I think this would be a better tag as it
provides the data that routing software requires (without the need to know
which side of the road each country drives on). On the flip side, it would
make rendering a little harder.

Good Luck,
Rob

p.s. Do we know if DfT use the "opposite_lane" tag value? I never really
did understand the benefit this tag brings over left/right.