> Presumably these were the original conditions to get the funding? Having
> mapped Ardleigh Millennium Green since the start of this thread I know that
> has a playground, or at least “play equipment”. There are also photos of it
> on the parish council website[1]. So I'm guessing this has been built since
> the year 2000, but don't know.
>
> Ed****
>
> [1] http://www.essexinfo.net/ardleighpc/photos/album?album_id=737769****

Hi Ed,

I have had a quick search and have found some details on the charitable
trust for Ardleigh Millennium Green [A]. They describe that the land is to
be used for "INFORMAL RECREATIONAL PLAY". I guess this lines up with the
wikipedia article which I was a little bit too selective with my cut and
paste - the full line is:

"Another requirement of the original sponsors was that the land should not
be used for formal sporting and recreation areas, so that no pitches or
playground apparatus were to be built."

As you are aware the field next to Ardleigh Millenium Green includes a
formal sports pitch [B] and this field is not part of the Millenium Green.
It looks like the aim was to create a space for everyone, therefore the
requirement for no formal sporting and recreation areas were to stop it
from becoming another football field of skate park, etc..

[A]
http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithoutPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1073243&SubsidiaryNumber=0

[B] http://osm.org/go/0EHbSmnKJ-

Rob