Dave F. wrote
> In Bristol users have been tagging links to NCN 4 (signposted on the
> ground with the number in brackets) with the ncnref tag.
>
> This just adds confusion when displayed on the maps. We need a way to
> distinguish links from the actual routes.

In the recent thread about the Dft England Cycling Data it was suggested
that signed link routes could be added with the ref in brackets, as it
/should/ appear on the signs:
e.g. *ncn_ref=(4)* on ways, or *ref=(4)* on any link routes large enough to
warrant a relation.

See
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/England-Cycling-Data-project-DfT-cycling-data-now-available-for-merging-tp5713108.html
for the discussion.