On 23 September 2012 15:21, Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> "CP" is part of the name in the OS Boundary-Line data. There doesn't seem to
> be any consensus or guidelines about what to put in the "name" tag. Should
> it be "Dartford" or "Dartford Borough" or "Borough of Dartford" or "Dartford
> Council" or something else? Is it naming the area, or the administrative
> entity governing it? As there are very many cases of areas at many levels
> named identically, from counties down to parishes, there needs to be some
> way of distinguishing between them.
>
> We have to watch out that we continue to distinguish distinct, unrelated
> "hierarchies". In particular "parish" and "ward" mean different things
> according to the context. There are civil parishes, which are (by
> definition) a subarea of a higher-level local authority (normally
> district/borough or unitary authority) and ecclesiastical parishes: each
> religion/denomination has its own hierarchy of areas. The NHS has a
> geographic hierarchy as has Fire and Rescue. But they have only a certain
> correlation to governmental areas, with cases of one fire service serving
> multiple counties, and a counties being covered by multiple fire services
> (although I don't have an example of this to hand).
>
> An area at admin level 10 might be a civil parish, it might be an
> ecclesiastical parish, it might be an electoral ward etc etc. To me,
> boundary=administrative means the boundary belongs to "government", which
> means it starts at level 2 with countries (leaving room for supra-national
> levels such as the EU) and includes regions, counties, unitary authorities,
> districts and civil parishes. Wards in this hierarchy should really be at
> admin level 11 (i.e. inferior to parishes). There are some special cases
> which don't fit the 100%: the Scilly Isles and City of London spring to
> mind. There is a hierarchy of parliamentary-electoral areas as well; the
> lowest quantum is the "ward" but these are not the same as the wards for
> local council purposes.

Personally, and as the maintainer of nominatim I would be very happy
to see admin_level dropped in favour of a set of specific tags (i.e.
place=* or something similar).  Admin_level is applied inconsistently
and in ways that cause overlapping hierarchies.  They also correlate
badly between the place nodes and boundary relations - using a
consistent set of tags across both would help no end in parsing the
data!

The current version of nominatim starts the process of linking admin
boundaries to nodes - the next version will probably depreciate
admin_level in favour of the place=* value from the label node where
it is available.

--
 Brian