I think I was more concerned about the likelihood of the data being entered
correctly (ie putting an undue load on mappers to do something that a
computer can do with a much higher likelihood of success).

Maybe there are instances where the relation would have to be created by
hand (to sort out duplicate road names, for instance), in which case maybe
having them available in editors but not foregrounded is the better
approach.

{And did Tom really say "In JOSM you can simply..." ?!}

Richard