> Colin, it's fine to add the postcode data to a node object (eg a poi),
> just
> don't create a node with just the postcode and nothing else as this is
> meaningless. The postcode data we have is not the information for
> individual
> buildings, its just the centroid of the address polygon which will contain
> any number of buildings (or post delivery points). Thus when using the
> data
> its still necessary to do some interpretation and it's not possible always
> to know that you are assigning the right postcode to the right
> building/delivery point because we don't know where the boundary of one
> postcode is against another for the same street etc.

I am guessing that just having the centroid is plenty adequate for a lot
of reverse geocoding probably including routing, i.e. "where is XX1 3AB"
or "take me to XX1 3AB". Obviously it won't cover questions of the form of
"what's the postcode for this building" which will require every
individual building/delivery point to be tagged.

As (legal stuff permitting) "importing" the centroids would cover a very
popular use case with (IMHO) a quality which is adequate for most people,
I would not be so quick to dismiss it.

Colin