On 7 December 2012 14:10, SomeoneElse <li...@mail.atownsend.org.uk> wrote:

> Peter Miller wrote:
>
>> Just to say that I have added tagging and a relations for both of the
>> main road schemes mentioned specifically in the Autumn Statement.
>>

> Is there any actual benefit to doing this before construction actually
> starts?  Until that point nothing on the ground has changed - only the
> degree of smugness on a politician's face.
>
> OSM unfortunately has more than it's fair share of "I wish there was a
> cycle route here" or "I wish there was a bypass there" - shouldn't we be
> more worried about mapping what's here now?

For sure, we should be mapping what is on the ground and we are getting on
with that very well indeed, however I believe it is also appropriate to add
details of schemes that have official backing, have a defined start or end
date and are have 'a strong likelihood of being built' (such schemes would
also appear on a printed road-atlas). Schemes that are aspirational (Boris
Island) or which have no official support or which are still at the
'preferred options' stage or before do not.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Peter