Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Taginfo/Taginfo GB suggest that railway:historic=rail is not used much elsewhere
in the world, and that railway=abandoned, =disused and =dismantled remain the
popular choices. No client software appears to take any notice of
railway:historic=rail.

Would there be any opposition to gradually reverting uses of this tag to
railway=dismantled/abandoned, depending on what's on the ground?

The only documentation I could find (on a wiki discussion page, of all the
obscure places):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Railways#railway:historic.3Dxxx_or_former:railway.3Dxxx_in_place_of_railway.3Dabandoned.2Fdismantled.3F

There is a special case, but I'm not sure that is what you are actually seeing. While the track bed may have been lifted, a number of 'historic' lines still have statutory orders in place designating them as 'protected'. For instance the line up from Broadway extending the GWR track from Toddington has to be treated as if it is active and the Broadway Bypass had to have a bridge built to allow for an electrified line to be run through. BR is unlikely ever to do that and the information is not visible on the ground, but it is available information.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL