On 14 May 2013 16:13, SomeoneElse <li...@mail.atownsend.org.uk> wrote:
> Despite the lack of any positive feedback here some sort of "Neighbourhood
> Planning" import seems to be continuing:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/16081208
>
> Can anyone explain what is going on?

I don't know what's going on now, but I didn't comment before because
it didn't seem that there was enough support for the proposal to go
ahead without further discussion. But I'll share my thoughts now:

1/ I think adding the boundaries of planning areas to OSM, especially
where these are not coterminous with existing parish boundaries, would
be a good thing. The boundaries should be added as relations, in the
same way as we already do parish boundaries.

2/ If the planning boundary is coterminous with a civil parish
boundary, I wonder if we need an additional relation for it. Perhaps
there's a way we could add the fact that it's also got the planning
powers to the parish boundary relation.

3/ I don't think there's much benefit in adding proposed areas, so
they should only be added once approved. i.e. we should only add
relations for areas that actually have the Neighbourhood Planning
powers.

4/ I think the meta data proposed is rather over the top. That sort of
detailed information would be better stored in an external database.
I'd have thought that it should be enough to store the designation,
name, a single URL, and maybe a start date, and maybe the name of the
committee / organisation that is running it.

5/ I think there's no benefit in having nodes (instead of boundaries)
in the OSM database, so I'd propose that these are all removed. OSM is
a geographic data project, and the nodes don't add anything to the
geography. The nodes have no interaction with the rest of the map, so
the data could just as well be held in an external database with
lat/long coordinates, and then displayed over the top as a separate
layer by anyone who was interested in it.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker