On 1 June 2013 22:33, sk53.osm <sk53....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I favour a name=Welsh Name / English Name, name:cy=Welsh Name,
> name:en=English Name approach, as used for instance in Brussels on OSM and
> officially in Biel / Bienne in Switzerland (one of the few places there
> which is truly bilingual).

Having done a fair bit of mapping around Criccieth and various walks around
Snowdonia, I'd support this idea. I presume the order of the names in the
main "name" tag would be the reverse if that was the order on the street
sign?

I presume, also, that we would add in simple translations even if they
aren't shown on a road sign? I'm just thinking of very common
straightforward cases like 'Stryd Fawr / High Street', and names that are
known locally by an English name even if not signposted. I wouldn't want to
start making up translations otherwise, no matter how obvious it might
seem. There is a 'Ffordd y Castell' in Criccieth that translates to 'Castle
Terrace' rather than the more obvious 'Castle Road'.

Sometimes different sections of a road have the different languages, but I
don't see that we need to reflect that where we know the name is a direct
translation.

It gets a bit more complicated where names aren't obviously direct
translations. Are they the same name, or alternative names? Should we
worry? I have come across streets signposted in Welsh, with a very
different English name evident in the OS open data. In these instances I've
tended to stick to names I can see on the ground.

Regards,
Tom