Dear All,

Some time ago I wrote to you about the process by which notice of changes
to Public Rights of Way are distributed to Ordnance Survey and other
interested third parties.

These third parties are listed as "Prescribed Organisations" in Appendix A
of [1].

Based on your comments, I contacted Defra to see if OpenStreetMap could be
added to the list of "Prescribed Organisations". Eventually I got this
response:

> "The protocols of sending the Ordnance Survey any definitive map updates
> were established some time ago. The Ordnance Survey is Great Britain’s
> recognised mapping agency and therefore it is entirely appropriate it
> receive this information. We do not plan at this time to instruct local
> authorities to send updates to any other organisations as we would be wary
> of placing additional burdens on hard pressed local authorities.
>
> The purpose of the legislative list of prescribed organisations is so they
> can receive a copy of every order both made and confirmed. I am not sure
> that OpenStreetMap would want to receive notice of every order made, but if
> you did wish to see such a legislative change then your organisation would
> have to make a good business case as to why the legislation should be
> changed."

So does anyone think this is worth pursuing further? In my opinion the
business case is obvious and it step one of many towards opening up more
competition in the mapping arena (why should OS get all this information
but not other map makers). And is anyone willing to help?

Regards,
Rob

[1]
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69304/pb13553-rowcircular1-09-091103.pdf