To: Talk-GB <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
From: Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com>
Date: 30/06/2013 05:16PM
Subject: [Talk-GB] Notification of Rights of Way

Dear All,

Some time ago I wrote to you about the process by which notice of changes to
Public Rights of Way are distributed to Ordnance Survey and other interested
third parties.

 These third parties are listed as "Prescribed Organisations" in Appendix A of
[1].

Based on your comments, I contacted Defra to see if OpenStreetMap could be
added to the list of "Prescribed Organisations". Eventually I got this response:

 "The protocols of sending the Ordnance Survey any definitive map updates  were
established some time ago. The Ordnance Survey is Great Britain’s  recognised
mapping agency and therefore it is entirely appropriate it  receive this
information. We do not plan at this time to instruct local  authorities to send
updates to any other organisations as we would be  wary of placing additional
burdens on hard pressed local authorities.

The  purpose of the legislative list of prescribed organisations is so they
can receive a copy of every order both made and confirmed. I am not sure  that
OpenStreetMap would want to receive notice of every order made,  but if you did
wish to see such a legislative change then your  organisation would have to
make a good business case as to why the  legislation should be changed."

So does anyone think this is worth pursuing further? In my opinion the business
case is obvious and it step one of many towards opening up more competition in
the mapping arena (why should OS get all this information but not other map
makers). And is anyone willing to help?

Regards,
Rob

[1]