When I did this, many years ago, I used something like:

        createuser -S -D -R apache
        echo "GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA PUBLIC TO apache;" | psql gis
        echo "grant all on geometry_columns to apache;" | psql gis
        echo "grant all on spatial_ref_sys to apache;" | psql gis

I'm using apache as the user ID here as that's what Mapnik was running as.

This is taken from: http://www.passback.org.uk/maps/fedora.shtml.

Keith.
--
  Keith Sharp