On 2013-07-27 13:11, Dudley Ibbett wrote:
Hi

I'm trying to make use of the row files on rowmaps for derbyshire and
staffordshire and and merging these with and osm map file to then
produce maps that can highlight which paths are and aren't mapped.  I
can put the derbyshire file into JOSM and download parts of the area and
merge them to create an osm file that I can then save locally and import
into Maperative.  A modified rules file allows me to produce the prow
footpath ways and the osm footpath ways as different coloured dotted
lines so I can see which are/aren't mapped.  Unfortunately JOSM doesn't
seem to be able to cope with merging large files.  I maybe asking to
much of it as the files are quite big.  What I would like is to be able
to get a merged file of the derbyshire, saffordshire row files and the
equivalent osm map file on a regular basis (highlighting the rows that
aren't mapped) so I can slowly pick away at the remaining footpaths the
need mapping in this area.  Does anyone know of a simple way to do this?

Depends on how big the files are, and how much memory you have on your computer. You can assign more memory to JOSM, which might help. eg run it with a command like this:
java -Xmx1500M -jar josm-tested.jar
That would allow it 1500MB.

Or for merging large files, you could use Osmosis. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis
ie use a command like this:
osmosis --rx file2.osm --rx file1.osm --m --wx merged.osm

Craig