Frederik Ramm wrote:
(the *ideal* but often utopian course of action being that the user sees his mistake and fixes it himself!),

In my personal experience, mappers that are still engaged with the project *1 normally do reply to a "hello-and-welcome-but-by-the-way" message positively *2, and most do fix stuff themselves. I can only think of a few cases locally where users weren't responding to messages from other users but continued to mess things up (knowingly or unknowingly), and in two of those a short editing block brought the mappers concerned into communication with everyone else.

In this case it'd be interesting to see what happens next, after they've received messages from at least a couple of other mappers.

Cheers,

Andy

*1 More people who've "just added X" and don't come back don't reply to messages at all.

*2 Out of several hundred such "welcome" messages over the past 4.5 years I can only remember one that said "well why don't you fix it then".