Looks like some very good work is going on in Ruislip!

When I saw the initial comment I also expected the changeset to be mine as it's the sort of thing I've been doing as well. Although I try to add a source code to everything I add to the data, I'm pretty sure there are times when I miss something. It's quite good to have this double level of history added to any changes - not only can you add a source tag, in my case probably

source=survey;Bing;Land Registry

but on the occasion where you miss that there is the changeset comment as well which makes it clear. Looks as if this mapper has covered this angle pretty clearly.

In a system where most of the 'rules' are governed by what most people have done, it's no surprise there is variation between how we apply a tag showing our sources.

Anyway, if you're looking for a project in OSM, adding addresses is easily accomplished. Personally I currently use Keypad-Mapper 3 & OSMTracker to do my surveying, and the exercise does me the world of good.

If anyone fancies joining in, I've outlined how I carry out the process at http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy

Regards

Nick
(Tallguy)

On 28/09/13 20:45, Rob Nickerson wrote:
== Quote ==
>I've just noticed (changeset 18037116) someone using this Land
>Registry data search tool to actually populate, rather than simply
>flag for re-survey postcode data.  Given that the Land Registry
>require a copyright notice, and, unlike OS Open Data, there is no such
>copyright notice on OSM, is this usage actually legal?
== End Quote ==

Hi,

Short answer= Yes, its fine, no problems.

Long Answer=
I was expecting that changeset to be mine, but pleased to see that other people are now using Matt's postcode tool.

To answer your question:- The data is available under the standard Open Government Licence (just like the ONS Postcode Centroids that I am also using if it is right above a house), and can therefore be used with attribution. The attribution is on the Contributors page [1] and has been since 31 August 2012. Only a very select few sources are also attributed on the Copyright page [2] and the page makes it clear that you should see the Contributors page for the other sources.

Best regards,
Rob Nickerson

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Land_Registry_-_Price_paid_data
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright