Typically by asking local climbers, and climbing the route yourself.
Opinions I've seen are that route names are not copyrightable, any more
than road or mountain names.  So If I've been there, verified the name with
locals, climbed the route logging it's location in my GPS, and assessed the
grade myself, the guide book has become a map pointing me in the direction
of my own survey.