I wondered when the SOTM-suggested redesign would surface :)

For me (regarding the redesigned version):
- The mobile website looks better (menus hidden in the typical menu
section), though the top "title" bar could be shrunk a little IMO.
- The regular website is better on my little netbook screen
a) the wider/shorter search/welcome piece is an improvement, even if
simply due to the absence of a vertical scroll bar due to the height
of the previous left-hand sidebar.
b) I would second (third?) the comment re the ability to 'X' or drop
down/up the welcome piece, though when to have it (re)display by
default (new window/tab, new session, cookie/duration) isn't clear.
c) Another thing is that the Edit box requires log-in, so... is there
a reason that the 'log in' isn't the main route to editing, or should
it really be greyed out until the user is logged-in (with a
hover-tip)? I suppose this is about making people aware that it can be
edited (online)?
d) Lastly, the same point applies as per the mobile website, that the
top white bar is higher/deeper now; it may be more aesthetically
pleasing, but for those of us with tiny screens it's a little
frustrating?

Do we need to forward our comments to the talk list, or is there some
other official channel to make comments to?

--
Neil