So somehow independently of this mailing list I have to know to login to
remove this box? Where is this communicated on the website- which is most
people's first experience of OSM? A close button is so much more efficient!

@Rob - I know you communicated this change and asked for feedback  for
which I'm grateful- I'm just pissed  off that there was no obvious
communication  of the date of implementation - at best that's just
unprofessionally poor communication, at worst it's taking the community for
granted.

Regards

Brian