On 5 February 2014 10:47, SK53 <sk53....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just been looking at use of designation on taginfo UK and there are
> many not very appropriate uses.

Indeed. I think many may have been caused by Potlatch previously
having a "designtaion" box appear by default on a lot of objects,
which caused many people to think they should put something in there.
I think that's been fixed now, but a lot of odd values do persist. I
did have a go at sorting some of them out a while ago, but gave up as
it felt like I was fighting a loosing battle. I do however keep an eye
out for things that might be typos of commonly used legitimate values,
and fix those where there's been an obvious mistake. See
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/prow/designation.html

> The ones which stick out to me are : permissive_bridleway (if its permissive
> it's not been designated),

That's not always the case, though it depends a bit on how you define
"designated". Certainly there is/was some sort DEFRA / Natural England
scheme whereby there are incentives for farmers to open up permissive
routes on their land. These routes are officially agreed, so I think
it's fair to say they've be designated as permissive routes. Also, I
think there's a reasonable argument that if a route is explicitly
signed as a Permissive Bridleway, then it has been 'designated' as
such by the land-owner. In both these cases, I'd say that
designation=permissive_XXX would be an appropriate tag to use. (I
think there may also be a way for land-owners to officially record
permissive routes with the Rights of Way department of the local
council, in order to protect themselves against any future
rights-of-way claims. So if they've done this, it could also be
regarded as officially designated as a permissive route.)

> Quite agree with Nick the yellow markers, usually with name of the Highway
> Authority, are good for Public Footpath.

It comes down to knowing your local area I think. If the local council
typically uses a certain style of yellow markers without an explicit
"Public Footpath" text to mark Public Footpaths, then it would be fine
to use such signs as sufficient evidence to record the route on OSM.
In areas where the council signs normally look quite different, then
you'd be on less firm ground.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker