On 25/02/14 09:47, Philip Barnes wrote:

City status is an honour granted by The Queen, not something that can be
claimed by size or population. Like trunk roads, its quirky and like
trunk roads I see it as the way we do things here.

You are correct that a City in the UK is defined that way.

That does not necessarily mean that place=city in OSM is defined in that way, any more than every two man village in the US that decides to call itself a city is tagged place=city in OSM.

The actual definition for place=city given in the wiki is:

"Use the place=city tag to identify the largest settlement or
 settlements within a territory, including national, state and
 provincial capitals, and other major conurbations.

To be honest I'm not sure what we have traditionally done in terms of mapping place=city in the UK but as a general point you should beware of attempting to interpret tags literally against local legalites.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/