On 22/04/14 13:29, SomeoneElse wrote:

1) "place=city" in OSM might or might not not mean the same as "is a
ceremonial city, as defined in the UK"

There is no "might" about it. The wiki at least is explicit:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dcity

"Smaller charter cities should normally be tagged using place=town to avoid these places being promoted too highly in gazetteer search results"

That's using US terminology but it's basically the same thing, that you shouldn't base place=city on the local legal status.

2) We need some way to represent ceremonial city, if it's not to be
"place=city"

Sure, if you want uk_legal_status=city then go ahead and add that.

3) There's also a "subjective local importance" factor (Cambridge >
Bedford was mentioned)

Agreed. The wiki says largest, but I think a degree of "importance" is relevant as well.

4) A scheme that coincided with what's done globally would be preferred
over anything UK specific.

Absolutely, which is why the definition is not tied to the legal niceties of specific jurisdictions.

5) We need to decide on something and document it.

Well I think it already is documented, just people in the UK are trying to ignore the documentation.

I'd have expected any mass-change of cities and towns in the UK and
Ireland to at least try and discuss the change beforehand, which didn't
happened (someone on #osm-ie has already said that the changes to Galway
and Waterford were not correct according to their understanding).  I may
be over-paranoid, but the description of the Wolverhampton change above
as "town (near city)" does suggest that there's a certain amount of "for
the renderer" going on here too.

Well there is a close correspondence between the agree meaning of city as the largest/most important places and what places people would expect to show up first on the map so while it may be mapping for the renderer it's also in agreement with the documented meaning of the tag.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/