If you want to know population, we should use a population tag. Given its history, much as we might like to pretend otherwise, place=city etc really *is* no more than an arbitrary hint to the renderer, and not much good either because it doesn't reflect the other criteria that would determine how prominent a place appears on a map. And of course those criteria would differ depending on what and who the map is for. Until there is another more diverse way of working out prominence, we'll keep going round in circles on this one.

Current definition notwithstanding, I think I favour the place value being what people locally say the place is - if they think they are a city, then by the "what you see on the ground" method of mapping, that is what it is.

But how the place (label in particular) is represented on a map ought to be up to that renderer, probably based on some weighted average of various criteria, perhaps including that local subjective judgement, the population bracket, home of an important institution, ...

For example, on car maps I think there's an argument for bumping up the prominence of the set of place names used on green/blue (trunk/motorway) road signs in the UK, because of their usefulness in navigation. Scotch Corner is useful in this respect, but tiny (is it even a village?).

David