On 2014-05-15 13:43, Philip Barnes wrote:
On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 09:46 +0200, Marc Gemis wrote:
Left and right is decided by the direction of the osm-way. Not by
east/west/north/south.

BTW, in Brussels we have streets with 4 official names : left/right,
French/Dutch :-)

Rather than left/right should we not be using forward/reverse (or is it
backwards) as with sidewalk tagging?

No, sidewalks should be tagged as sidewalk=left/sidewalk=right/sidewalk=both etc. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sidewalks Because that is where they are physically located, relative to the direction of the way. So the same should apply to names, ie name:left/name:right

Forward or backward is for things which depend on which way you are travelling, ie different speed limits or access restrictions.

One question I also have, if a road is reversed does forward/reverse
tagging get automatically corrected?

That depends on what editor you are using. JOSM does prompt you if you reverse a way with most forward/backward or left/right tags, and asks if you want to change them to the opposite. Though testing now, it seems this doesn't work with name:left/name:right, seems to be a bug.

Craig