As this discussion is about UK specifics, I thought it would be a good
plan to reach out to the talk-GB list.

--colin

On 2014-08-03 16:44, Colin Smale wrote:

> On 2014-08-03 16:24, Craig Wallace wrote:
> On 2014-08-03 11:00, Matthijs Melissen wrote: Residential roads in the UK
> often seem to have 'private road' signs, such as: - 'Private road' - 'Private
> road no parking' - 'Private road no parking no turning' - 'Residents only no
> unauthorised parking or turning' How do people tag these roads? For which of
> these would you use access=private? Thanks in advance. Depends on just what
> sort of road it is, and how it is signed. ie are they actually official signs
> or something more homemade. Often a "Private road" sign is specifically
> referring to motor vehicles, so it should just be tagged as
> motor_vehicle=private (or motor_vehicle=no).

How about horses? How do you conclude that these signs are only for
motor vehicles?

> In Scotland, you would generally have a right to walk or cycle there etc, so
> should also be tagged as foot=yes, bicycle=yes.

There are exceptions to this, which include "Land on which there is a
house, caravan, tent or other place affording a person privacy or
shelter, and sufficient adjacent land to enable those living there to
have reasonable measures of privacy and to ensure that their enjoyment
of the house or place is not unreasonably disturbed." IANAL but I
suspect this might be applicable to residential roads in private
ownership.

> Not sure about the legality in England and Wales.

Land ownership in E&W is absolute isn't it? Trumped only by a public
right-of-way.

> [1]]

Links:
------