Hi,

On 08/04/2014 08:23 PM, SomeoneElse wrote:
> To duplicate every name in OSM in every language (or even every
> alphabet) is clearly ridiculous - and the "but it's only for cities"
> argument is also not a good one, since what is done for cities will next
> be done for towns, villages, village shops, everything.

I agree with that and I have often tried to make the point that the
"name" tag should be reserved for situations in which something really
has a certain distinct name in the given language.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/53574164 - if I visit Pont Neuf will
there be a sign in English explaining to me that this building is called
"New Bridge"? Will I meet native English speakers who tell me they've
been to "New Bridge" in Paris (the same way they will say that they have
been to "Munich")?

No? Then what on earth does the name:en tag do on that object. Of course
the other name:xx tags aren't any better as a far as I can judge. The
only reason I haven't yet blown these tags to pieces is that I can
occasionally use them in rants like this.

Bye
Frederik