Richard

After seeing your edits I started a discussion on the Tagging forum (as canals & water features are, obviously worldwide) to see if your amendments were correct.

This wiki page was pointed out to me:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Water_details

As you can see it's been discussed & in use for a few years.

I was never really happy with the riverbank tag especially as it was used as a 'cover all' solution, so the proposals in this wiki are beneficial.

A response from that discussion which clinched it for me:

"The advantage is that you can determine it is a canal from the polygon alone. With waterway=riverbank you have to find the corresponding centerline first (assuming it exists)."

I've now amended most of the rivers/canals in my area to suit.

"and IMHO very poorly"

Really sorry to say this, but some of your edits have been a bit off. In JOSM do you load all the data in the area you're editing? I've noticed you move whole entities, such as fences, but seem unaware that action affects any joined elements like other fences or footpaths.

You amended locks that are on rivers to waterway=canal which IMO is incorrect:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/39910760

Also which imagery are you tracing from? In some cases it appear to vary from Bing in Potlatch.

Cheers
David F.