Hi Richard,

> I am working my way around the canals of Britain, tracing the canal banks
> and tidying up locks etc.

Your work is really welcome and as someone with a particular interest in the
British canals I'm glad to see it taking place.

In terms of "playing nice with the OSM community", rather than just using
OSM as your own personal data store, there are two points I'd like to
emphasise:

1. If you find yourself extensively changing existing work, or doing things
differently from what you've seen other mappers do, take a minute to
reflect. That work is very probably how it is for a reason (for example, the
towpaths with highway=cycleway which we corresponded about earlier). You
might not be aware of that reason, or you might be aware but disagree with
it. In either case, you should take the time to talk to the community and
find out why the consensus has formed the way it has.

2. Changeset comments. Be descriptive. Your edits are generally great but,
to be (over?) frank, your changeset comments really aren't. "editing canals
and related structures" isn't very helpful - it's pretty much "I did some
work". Better examples would be:
   "Tracing waterway outline, north Stratford Canal"
   "Rationalising lock tagging around Birmingham"
   "Adding lock names on River Thames"
It's not just that it's useful per se - it also demonstrates good faith in
your interaction with other mappers. None of us are perfect on this issue,
me included, but resorting to a default comment is pretty much always a bad
idea.

In general, talking to the community is always useful. It magnifies the
effect of your work, because others can share their experience with you and
vice versa. For example, if you say "I'm mapping CRT boater facilities, I'd
like to ask a few questions", others will read up on the consensus and
before long all such facilities will be mapped in the same way. If you say
"I'm mapping towpaths", someone will come along and say "Great! If you can
add connections at bridges to roads, that'll make them routable!". And so
on.

Don't be fooled by the siren voices of the wiki. What's in the database is
valid because it's formed by consensus. What's on the wiki too often isn't.
Any fool can invent their own scheme, write "this is how you do it" on the
wiki, and most of them do. Wiki users have rationalised their behaviour by
promoting a voting scheme, but as this can lead to major changes being
approved by just a handful of people, it doesn't have any particular
legitimacy.

And thanks again for helping improve canal data. :)

cheers
Richard