> On 2 November 2014 16:11, Andy Street <a...@street.me.uk> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 13:24:46 +0000
>> Matthijs Melissen <i...@matthijsmelissen.nl> wrote:
>
>>> - 'Brantano Footwear' versus Brantano
>
>> Whilst company names do not necessarily reflect trading names I'd be
>> inclined to take "Brantano (UK) Limited" as further evidence for
>> "Brantano" over "Brantano Footwear".
>
> Are there still objections against "Brantano"?
>
>>> - Capitalization of Aldi, Lidl, Spar, Asda
>
>> What do people think about using upper case for names that are
>> pronounced as a series of letters and mixed case for names that are
>> pronounced as a word? Whilst not ideal (until the widespread adoption
>> of the talking shop sign!) this would give us a rule of thumb that
>> should be easy enough to follow in the majority of situations.
>
> I'm not sure if this would be a good general rule, it would look
> strange in abbreviations like NATO, AIDS, or GNU (not sure if all of
> them occur in topographic names).
>
> Maybe we could follow the spelling the organization uses themselves in
> running text? That would give us Lidl, Aldi, and Asda, but SPAR.
> Alternatively, we could follow the spelling other media use to refer
> to those shops (which is the rule Wikipedia uses), which would
> probably give us Lidl, Aldi, Asda, and Spar. The latter also
> corresponds with current use. What do you think?

I think either the running-text or the say-it-as-a-word heuristics are
roughly OK, but more importantly, they're so heuristic that what is
the point, given that the companies often don't make up their minds
entirely, and capitalisation is unlikely to be a big deal? There are
many of your suggested edits that I think will be useful, but actually
the decision whether to use "ASDA" or "Asda" is not very likely to
have any downstream impact on anyone, because even the most
simple-minded of data consumers (such as me ;) can probably do
case-insensitive search...

It might surprise everyone for me to turn against those edits! But the
capitalisation differences are so minor, I'd much rather we all agree
to let Matthijs fix the important things like "Ladbrooks" :)

Dan