On 18/12/14 12:33, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
>> However, if local mappers could somehow be alerted to this small
>> > discrepancy, they would probably spot other things in the same area that
>> > needed updating at the same time. They might not go looking for them
>> > otherwise.
>> >
>> > Finding small problems like this does have an advantage, but it looks like
>> > fixing them mechanically is actually missing the opportunity to improve the
>> > map in other ways at the same time.
> I have tried contacting local mappers before (in the case of the
> betting/bookmaker change), but response has been very limited (less
> than 5% of the contacted mappers responded). So this is not really a
> solution.
>
> An alternative would be to create Notes for every misspelling.
> However, that would result in the creation of hundreds of new Notes,
> and I doubt people would be really happy with that.

You are 'mechanically' finding things that you consider to be a problem,
but it IS assessing the nature of the problem on a local basis which
some of use are objecting to. Posting hundreds of notes would not be
acceptable, but simply changing something without a little local review
is in my book just as bad. Ed has highlighted the advantage of that
local review and I feel that blindly fixing these small elements may
actually detract from a better review. If one element is wrong, what
else IS wrong in that area. The errors need publishing somehow and in
the absence of anything better perhaps the notes process IS the proper
mechanism, even if not ideal. I do try and keep those down in my local area.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL