I'll try again with this...

...third time lucky ?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pmailkeey . <pmailk...@googlemail.com>
Date: 1 January 2015 at 23:36
Subject: What are you mapping and have you fully though through the
implications of bad data ?
To: talk-gb <Talk-GB@openstreetmap.org>

Hi all,

OSM is a great idea and I'm having a lot of fun filling in data locally.

It's annoying to add things to the database and find them not appearing on
a general map - is there not an 'all data map' ? Sidewalks - which I've
used to mark kerbs as they should be marked. This leads to why I left OSM
years ago:

The marking of roads by a single line - an easy and cheap solution. I'd
planned to map by real data such that a road (carriageway) would be defined
by the position of its boundaries (be they kerbs, hedges or walls etc.)

Whose map are we drawing - the real one or some random person's
interpretation of a 'map' ? It seems to be a bit of both where 'road
classifications' are being randomly invented for the purpose of confusion.
It's quite obvious it's not clear what is meant by each road classification
and the specific names doesn't help. 'Trunk road' is a DfT term and has a
specific meaning. It's a terrible practice to use the same terminology for
your own definition of what one is - and it seems OSMers aren't exactly
clear on what one is. That name needs changing. As for the other
classifications, they're just meaningless names and have little use for a
map user. The pretty colours maybe aid in road selection by accident.
Should a map be the judge ? should the map just show what's really there on
the ground and leave the map user to decide which is the best route and
roads to use ? The answer to that is clearly yes and no ! It is wrong for
mappers to prejudge a route and colour it accordingly, however it is really
hand for the user to see routes more prominent on the map to guide the user
along more favourable routes.

There is a classification for motorway - because it's a distinctive route
and has a different set of legislation. Dual carriageways also have a
different set of legislation - so they too should have their own symbols.
As for the rest of the roads, they shouldn't be judged or classified on the
ad-hoc labelling that has gone before. As is recognised, an A road can have
anywhere between one and six lanes inclusive which makes it a completely
useless guide to the type of road it is and the suitability of it for each
user type. If the map is to show roads by classification, then the
classification needs to be based on reality and not historical
classifications. I think all roads should be classified by 'speed' and
speed alone (possibly!). I'll suggest some universal names and detail how
to calculate their speed for the purposes of classification. Then perhaps
we can have a heated debate about the whole topic!

Motorway
Excellent (road)
Good
Average
poor
bad.

There, universal in English globally. Average to be locally 'determined'
and the others based on that determination. In the UK, I'd consider:

Excellent (Minimum 2 wide lanes; no steep gradients or tight curves and lit
where desirable. Basically two on-coming 44T trucks would be able to
maintain national speed limit at all points they may pass each other (with
the exception of significant junctions/roundabouts)
Good (Minimum 2 wide lanes but with cause to reduce speed here and there
for whatever reason e.g. traffic lights, tight curves, gradients,
narrowings, built-up areas etc.) local speed limits. No traffic type,
width, weight, length or height restrictions
Average (2 lanes minimum - opposing 44T trucks need to negotiate their
passage but not stop, more curves, gradients, traffic lights and low speed
limits (30mph) here and there)
Poor (one wide lane minimum - enough for 2 cars to pass each other with
negotiation and reduced speed. OK for medium-sized trucks but not 38-44T
trucks Expect loads of hassle/stops in wider sections to let cars pass; a
need to use the wrong side of the road both before and after a bend. Steep
gradients needing low gears. No chance of getting up to national speed
limit.
Bad (one narrow lane, cars need to stop and pull over to let the other
opposing one pass. Unsuitable for trucks other than for access.
Track - effectively 'off-road' not tarmacked, rough, possibly soft etc. etc.

What are the legal implications for OSM(F) on a map user having an accident
as they've used what OSM shows as a trunk road but isn't ? Not only are
there legal implications but also OSM's reputation as being a trustworthy
map

It is correct to label roads with *refs* (e.g. A1) but incorrect to rate
(classify) the road based on someone else's labelling scheme.

I have the same issues with footpaths. I'm using 'footpath' to be
wheelchair-friendly and 'path' to be unfriendly - crossing fields or steps
en-route.

Make maps available for different transport users and services map
(mailboxes, hydrants, underground services overhead cables) - rather than
the current random offerings. Allow the user to choose a date window
(2000-current, for instance.)

Maps need to be plotted in 4 dimensions: X, Y, Z and T and I don't know why
you've allowed OHM to start up with historical info. All map info is
historic - some of it was valid yesterday! All data needs a start and end
date and that means every tag as sometimes these can change !

I suspect it'd be better for any responses to bits of this would be better
placed in their own thread !

For my next topics, I will do !

--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>