From: David Woolley [mailto:for...@david-woolley.me.uk]
Sent: 14 January 2015 08:07
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Fwd: What are you mapping and have you fully though
through the implications of bad data ?

On 13/01/15 22:23, Pmailkeey . wrote:

Making large numbers of points all at once will almost certainly result in
people latching onto just a few, even when you spread them over multiple
postings.  Also, many of these are not UK specific.

> It's annoying to add things to the database and find them not
> appearing on a general map - is there not an 'all data map' ?
> Sidewalks - which

The map is the data, not the rendering.  You do see a more complete rendering
in show map data mode or in an editor, but that, inevitably means you can show
less attributes, if you want to keep the clutter down.

> I've used to mark kerbs as they should be marked. This leads to why I
> left OSM years ago:

That sounds more like a plan than a map.  Having a reasonably high level of
abstraction is actually useful for most of the applications of the map.  I
don't know how OS handle it, but I assume they have both the abstract mapping
details to support 1:10000 and up, and a higher level of detail for the sort of
plans used in planning applications, rather than dynamically deriving the
abstracted roads from the detailed kerb lines.

In fact, when people do micro-map things like footways (still as lines), the
transition between those areas and more abstractly mapped areas tends to be
awkward, and it tends to imply barriers that don't exist in the real world.  We
currently have very poor coverage of more useful things, like house numbers,
and in many parts of the world, even road names, so the map is not going to
grow well if you insist on everyone micro-mapping to this level, so most of the
map is always going to abstract sidewalks into the road.

It is possible to map roads and pavements as areas, but you loose direction
information when you do that.  Again, transitions are awkward.

Also, the surveying tools available to amateurs make mapping detailed kerb
lines almost impossible.  At best they will be relative to a carriageway centre
which has an uncertainty which is often wider than the road.