> On 26 Mar 2015, at 12:26, Pmailkeey . <pmailk...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> On 25 March 2015 at 21:35, Colin Spiller <co...@thespillers.org.uk
> <mailto:co...@thespillers.org.uk>> wrote:
> ?
> Postcodes are GREAT for routing. It's far quicker to type the postcode as
> destination than a long address. If it takes me to the correct street I can
> usually find the building by myself, if I haven't entered the house number.
> Postcodes every time.
>
> Colin
>

> Grid ref or lat/long for me - to the gate.
>
> Got sick of giving postcodes as asked by delivery companies only to have them
> phone me from the street to find out where I am ! ("House with trees in
> garden" - hmm, I'll put the trees on OSM just in case !)
>
> Obviously not everyone has the intelligence to find the route of the last leg
> of the journey!

Granted in rural areas postcodes are less useful due to the large area that
they cover, however within towns and cities, they are generally accurate
enough, which covers the majority of the journey plans required. Just because
it isn’t useful to you doesn’t mean it isn’t useful to other people.

On the flip side how many people in the general population know how to use a
grid ref or lat/long? I’d hazard a guess, it’s less than those who know what a
postcode is (ignoring the technical details of postcodes).

Shaun