As an aside... I can kind of understand why people get grumpy about the
pre-1971 (?) counties now. While I grew up with the post-1971 counties and are
thoroughly used to them, so things like Avon et al never bothered me, while
things like Middlesex seem antiquated... I now get grumpy about these silly
unitary authorities. "The Unitary Authority of Market Tweddle and Adlestrop
North" and the like. They might make sense administratively but I can't imagine
anyone having any sense of identification with them.

Nick