On 17/08/2015 23:25, Rob Nickerson wrote:

So far there is little interest to do this on the OSM default render style which seems odd to me given how much fuss there has been on this list to recent changes to the footway/path style (over the last year)!

There's no interest to do this in the OSM "standard" style because it is abundantly clear that any new attempts at changes that make rural navigation possible* in OSM-carto would be rejected based on the ones that already have been over the last year. Although it hasn't been explicitly stated, the direction of travel of that style is clear - some people want a map style that's useful for navigation, others want something that "looks nice"; based on comments on the issues raised it's clear that the people maintaining the style are in the latter group rather than the former. This isn't a solvable problem; one map style can't be useful for different purposes** with conflicting requirements, render _everything_ in order to be a useful part of the feedback loop and also be a "nice looking map". The current discussion about rendering surface on footpaths in OSM-carto is essentially a waste of time if you can't see the paths themselves at all at a zoom level you'd use for planning a route over them.

I suspect that a number of people have just stopped using the "standard" style altogether and are now using something else instead, whether that's OSM's "cycle map" style (a number of help and IRC questions get asked where people just assume that "everybody uses" that), OsmAnd internal styles, cycle.travel, or whatever. I just stick my own tiles in in place of the MapQuest Open ones and use those.

Cheers,

Andy

* Seriously - if you wanted a nice walk in the Peak District, could you really use http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/14/8118/5322.png to plan where you're going? It's simply not fit for purpose when compared to http://a.tile.thunderforest.com/cycle/14/8118/5322.png , http://tile.cycle.travel/topoclassical/14/8118/5322.png or http://i.imgur.com/hvCHgFW.png .

** In addition to OSM-carto we've got 2 good but different options for cycling, various bus options including "Transport" on the mail osm.org layer switcher, for now at least we've got Mapquest open for car route planning, and I'd argue that my style is a good option for England-and-Wales footpaths (though you'd need to render your own tiles to use it). What we're missing (of the major transport types) is something targeted at horseriders, and probably most importantly for mappers a "complete but ugly" style to replace the long-departed OsmaRender.