On 14/09/15 00:41, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 14/09/15 00:16, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> The OSM wiki defines 'hamlet' as less than 100-200 people, but village
>> supposedly starts at 1000 up to 10000 with the proviso that it depends
>> on the country. Ideally the two would perhaps meet :) We are perhaps
>> looking at a population of around 8000 for a town designation in the UK,
>> but anything down to 100 is still classified as a village by the ONS.
>> What are actually missing from the OSN data are ANY hamlets despite
>> their claiming to include them.
>
> Please don't try and draw bright lines based on population, and
> certainly don't try and mass edit things based on that. It's much more
> subjective than that.
>
> Nobody would ever have described the place where I grew up as anything
> other than a town, but we always used to reckon on a population of
> around 3000 people (wikipedia says 5627 as of the 2011 census) and
> certainly 8000 sounds very high to me.
>
> Equally there were surrounding villages that aren't that much smaller
> but which lack things like a High Street and really wouldn't be
> described as towns - basically places which had historically been
> smaller but had acquired housing in the second half of the 20th century
> without necessarily growing in other ways.

I've no intention of changing anything, just add in missing material,
but it would be nice to have a consistent set of guide lines for the UK.
Rather than the simplistic view Facebook applies ... every hamlet,
village and town is a city :)

I'm just looking to keep a consistent use of what is well documented
data and ensure we same numbers everywhere. But to be honest I see no
need to add 'population' to OSM. The wikipedia link gives a lot more
than just that ... if the wikipedia page is right.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL