On 14/09/15 09:51, Tom Hughes wrote:

> To go back to the example of the town where I grew up, namely
> Wotton-under-Edge in Gloucestershire. That is a single parish and has a
> current population of 5627 according to wikipedia, which also points out
> that it had a municipal corporation until 1886 when it was abolished
> following the Municipal Corporations Act of 1883. It now has a town
> council.

On IOP Wotton-under-Edge is a parish with an identical built up area, so
the population figures match for both entities.

> Hell, try http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1009 where I now live
> which wasn't even a parish in it's own right until 1844 but was almost
> certainly considered a town before that, as a coaching stop on the main
> road from London to Cambridge.

Hoddesdon seems to have several entries on IOP and certainly a
substantial population, and would exceed the 10000 figure on the wiki
guide. The simple fact is that the inclusion of population on the wiki
page would seem to be something of a red herring, although for other
countries one may need that guide? It would seem that my fingure in air
8000 may be better nearer 3000 although at the end of the day the local
comunity my well call themselves a town or a village based on choice
rather than size.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL