Lester,

In the short term, would substituting http://tile.openstreetmap.fr/ solve your rendering problems?

Steve

On 31/10/2015 02:09, Lester Caine wrote:
OK ... what do we need to do to get a working UK map again?

Bing and Google are almost useless, and the new indistinguishable
rendering primary routes and motorways on OSM once everything finally
re-renders are going to be useless as well. I've just spent another
couple of hours trying to remember where I got to with the machine I've
been trying to build here to provide just the UK and Ireland, but I'm
going to have to go back to first principals and ignore the Nginx layer
and go back to slow old Apache for the tile cache :(

I know why the current tile servers can't handle more than one style,
and in my book THAT was the first problem that needed fixing rather than
forcing a complete new style sheet with no option to retain the current
style in parallel. So what do we need to do to get a UK friendly service
working?

I would like to throw into the mix that it would make sense to me if a
complete new rendering service also handled historic mapping as well
which should be relatively easy to do if confined to just the UK, but I
think we may need to be open to rendering more than just the UK?

It's bad enough at the moment tying to cope with W10 being rammed into
my clients systems and breaking perfectly good operational hardware,
android apps changing various operating procedures in illogical ways,
and the various 'browser improvements' resulting in even more legacy
sites no longer working without also having to start reworking every map
used across my client base. OSM is the only source that has much of the
detail that I need to show, and retaining blue ad green road links is
essential in my book ... and one of the reasons I started even
developing with OSM.

---